Stand Up Guy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The variety of succulents that Chrissy planted this year continues to amaze me. This tall stalk started growing a couple of months ago and has now reached about three feet in height. The small flowers at the tip didn’t start showing up until a week or so ago and continue to spread out. I’m anxious to see if the little buds open and what the colors might be.

Specific Feedback

Provided the second shot for context.

Technical Details

Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm
ISO 400, 1/25 @ f8, 11 shot stack in Helicon Focus

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

The lighting on this beauty is utterly perfect, Bill, and I think you chose an excellent composition. Very well done.

Thanks for including the setting for your composition. What you did with the angle for the background and the beautiful colors in the plant blend beautifully.

Bill–the lighting is perfect. Succulents require some careful lighting to capture the delicate colors and textures present. I like this as presented…Jim

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical: Love the technique. I have a Nike on 850. I need to try that… I love flowers. I got them all over my backyard and love to photograph…

Drop-dead gorgeous!! Perfect light and an amazing subject with wonderful focus and detail. My only suggestion is to keep shooting this amazing little thing as it finishes whatever it’s going to do!

1 Like

Perfect light, comp, colors and BG.
Sweet!

Bill, the lighting and details in this view are excellent. The somewhat dark view does a fine job of letting the buds at the top stand out. It’s a beauty.

It may be my detail orientation, but I like this view better than your other post of this flower…

I love this! The colours here all work so well together and I can’t imagine your composition being any better. Also, I appreciate the behind the scenes image. :blush: