Pastel Stems

It was hot, it was humid and it was buggy. Just a retention pond in Florida.

Specific Feedback Requested

This is my first post here so let me have it haha. Any and all feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld. 1/4 second f/11 ISO 100 120mm. Nikon D750.

8 Likes

Quite lovely. The soft background makes the plants really pop. Itā€™s hard to find a nice arrangement of these, but I think you did a good job. The touch of green in them is good, too. You could clone out some of the random ā€˜blobsā€™ in the water if you want an even cleaner look. Quite interesting and pleasing.

This is quite nice. I had the same thought as Kristen about cloning the blobs, especially in the URC. Things along the edges sure do stand out. Really beautiful image.

Thanks Kris! Itā€™s really hard to find a group of these that work. I removed dozens of blobs from this image already, they were smaller ones though. Iā€™m not the best at post processing yet, thatā€™s one of my next goals. Cheers!

Thank you Harley! I removed dozens of blobs already, Iā€™m not the best at post processing and Iā€™m not really sure how to remove some of the larger ones. Cheers!

Very beautiful peaceful image, Jason. Iā€™m glad you donā€™t have to live in the heat and humidity anymore! And can be in a place where they have fall! (I read your bĆ­o) Iā€™m curious, whatā€™s the story about the bird on your head?! It looks like a Scrub Jay or a Crow, I canā€™t tell in your small picture?!

Try using the lasso tool to select each blob then content-aware fill and see how it looks. If one does not work well, try a different selection with the lasso.

Jason, this is a very peaceful image with fine reflections from the clouds. However, this weekā€™s theme is wetlands, last weeks theme was reflections, although this will also fit the reflections topic, just change the tag.

Thanks for the kind words Vanessa! Iā€™m so glad to be out of Florida for a variety of reasons haha. You are correct, the bird is a Scrub Jay, while out showing my father-in-law his lifer Scrub Jay this one decided my head was a good spot to stop and survey the land. Luckily he had his phone ready and got this shot. Fun memory!

1 Like

Thanks Mark. Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m missing something with the tag, with it being my first one it prompted me to use at least one tag so I picked the first thing that came up which was wetlands. Iā€™ve changed my tag to reflections because thatā€™s what I think it should be, in the list of weekly challenges it says from 8/29-9/4 is reflections. Is this incorrect, if so Iā€™ll change it again.

Thatā€™s so awesome! Scrub Jays are hilarious! Thereā€™s tons around where I live and theyā€™re very vocal!

Wonderful composition and reflections of both plants and sky! Good idea about a little more cloning, just to make an excellent image even better.

1 Like

Beautiful photo. I love it. I agreeā€¦it would be better without the blobs in the upper left. Great first post! Keep them coming.

1 Like

This is a beautiful first post, Jason. You managed to find a wonderful grouping of reeds as well as a great combination of warm and cool colors. My only suggestion would be to clone out the blobs in the URC to clean up the scene just a touch. I hope you donā€™t mind, but here is a rework with what I was thinking. Looking forward to your participation.

Thanks Ed! Your rendition does look much better, I need to learn this cloning skill.

Jasonā€¦a bit delayedā€¦ if youā€™re on the description of the current weekly challenge thereā€™s a ā€œsubmitā€ button that adds the correct tag. Note that each challenge runs for one week from Sunday to Saturday. BTW, the only bit of weed in the upper right that I would clone is the one touching the frame. Frame contacts like that do catch a viewerā€™s eye. The other bits look like they belong in a retention pond. In or out becomes a question about how you want a viewer to think about what youā€™re showing. My simplistic feeling is that itā€™s a question of are you showing what was there or what you wish was there? and I donā€™t think thereā€™s a clear cut answer.