PB Grebe on Glass & additional image

Fog was just lifting this am. Minimal processing. No added NR.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 800, 800mm, f5.6, 2500th, handheld, full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David
The soft lighting is great. The detail, color and reflection are spot on. Some time the sun just gets in the way. Nice photograph.
Peter

Sweet shot. Calm water and lightbox lighting. The little grebe looks very relaxed with it all as well. 800 mm hand held is pretty impressive as well.

Hand held 800 mm - wow!
Love the lighting too
Just wished that there was a little more engagement with the viewer
Lovely capture

I’m not sure if getting a lower perspective would improve the comp. As presented, the reflection is maximized and this makes a very artistic display. May need to tweak up sharpness a tiny bit and I mean a tiny amount. Awesome…Jim

Here is another shot of the Grebe. This one has a little more eye contact and may be a little sharper.
Sorry, but the last few images I’ve posted have been done on my laptop. My desktop was the victim of a power surge that went through the surge protector and apparently fried my power supply. ( yes remember the days when surge protectors came with insurance to protect your device? Anybody ever collect?)
The other thing I should mention is this is a 400 mm telephoto with a 2X extender, not an 800 but still 800 mm handheld.

Wonderful capture, both of them. Grebes are so cute. No nits! I’m curious what lens. I have the Canon 400 DO II which is quite hand-holdable with the 2X if I don’t try to keep it at my eye too long. It’s actually easier with the heavy 1DX2 with a hand strap, which gives some leverage, than with the 5D4.

David, both are wonderful shots. They are just too cute. I don’t think I have had the opportunity to see one in person, and definitely not with a camera in my hands. Love the reflection in that nice smooth water too.

Both quite nice, showing excellent detail and color. My preference would be the original image. While it’s not looking at the viewer, the sense is that it is coming towards me.