Peaceful flow

This is from a quiet, calm morning in a local park. I wanted to capture the flow of the water from the falls and through the pool leading through the rocks into the foreground.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m rather pleased with how this came out and have gotten a lot of positive reactions/feedback but would welcome any critiques.

Technical Details

Two image blend to combine two different shutter speeds–one for the waterfall and one for the water flowing through the pool.

7 Likes

Dean
What a beautiful composition you have created. I think your image blend creating the flow of water through the image works great. My only small nit is that the saturation of the green plants on the rock walls seems a little bit too much with maybe a little too much luminosity as well. The plants appear so dramatic on the rock walls that they hold my eye from moving through the rest of the image. Overall a wonderful image.

Wow, Dean. You nailed this one. Very dramatic image. I can’t think of any suggestions. It should be printed large.

Dean!

You composed a fantastic scene here. Nice work!

My suggestion is to correct the greenish yellow color cast. That tinge of green/yellow is all over the image. I pulled the image into PS, neutralized it…brought it to neutral grey, then reduced the opacity. With the neutralization of the image the rocks will go a little bluer, I corrected this by desaturating the blues. The end result gave the scene more color separation, it also brought the saturation of those greens down as well. There’s a couple distracting vines that I would clone out on the right side of the frame. I will attach an image with the adjustments that I suggested, and will point out the areas that I found distracting with the red arrows.

Hope this helps

DT

Thank you, @John_Moses, @David_Bostock, and @David_Thompson. The color correction observations are very helpful, as is the distracting elements along edge. I very much appreciate you @David_Thompson for your in depth critique and for all the critiques you have offered this week.

WOW! Gorgeous!! A fantastic idea to combine the shutter speeds!!! My only additional comment is that the waterfall is leaning a bit – a slight CCW rotation (or a distortion) would fix it.

1 Like

Thank you, @Diane_Miller. Good eye about the leaning of the waterfall.

“Rather pleased”. This is a straight banger.

Dean, this is very nicely composed and composited. Great idea to give the waterfall texture and the foreground water lots of movement. I love it. Well done. The leading lines are terrific and the soft, diffused light is wonderful. The one thing that immediately grabbed my eye was the waterfall tilting. A CCW rotation will easily fix this and I love the bluer tones in the rock walls that David was able to pull out of this. The colors and tones look much better in his redo. To balance the flowing water in the bottom of the image I might be inclined to dodge the flow ion the right side and burn the flow on the left side so that the left side doesn’t pull the eye so much. Very small observation. This is a keeper and something that’s worth printing!

Thank you, @Mark_Eley and @David_Haynes.

1 Like

Waterfalls are my favorite subject. Your photo pulled me in right away I like all of the features in it and the shutter speed works for me. I enjoy the flow trails.

1 Like