Pearl Crescent

I believe this is a Pearl Crescent Butterfly. Taken at the small bog garden at the University of Tennessee Arboretum. I like how the wings almost match the flower pedals in pattern.

Specific Feedback Requested

How can I improve?

Technical Details

Canon 90 D Handheld
Canon 100mm F2.8L macro lens
F8
ISO 800
1/400 shutter

1 Like

She’s a beauty, Brian. I like how the pedals line up with the wings too. You got nice details on the eyes, which is most important. It would have been really nice if the wing closest to the bottom was a tad sharper, but the DOF didn’t allow that. Had you gone with f11, the BG would have been more distracting. It is a fine shot as presented.

I like Shirley’s thoughts on this Brian, and maybe tone down the yellow in the flower a bit. But very nice as presented.

Brian, you’ve got a fine set of colors here with the orange bf, the yellow flower and the yellow/green leaves and your square crop fits both the bf and the flower very well.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have a lot to learn.

Hi Brian,

The yellows only need a touch of saturation reduction as they are pretty close to ideal. I like the chewed edges of the coreopsis as it provides a level of abstraction that goes well with the orange and black patterns of the pearl crescent’s wings. Well done…Jim