Pearl Crescent or Checkerspot?

While photographing this butterfly, I was convinced it was a Pearl Crescent. It wasn’t until I downloaded the images and began to process them that I noticed a row of dark spots just inside the margin of the hindwing. some of them with white triangles in them, indicating this is a Silvery Checkerspot.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any, but specifically, do you think the butterfly is swamped in this image? It’s a small butterfly with a 1 1/2 - 2 inch wingspan, and I wanted it to look small in the frame to indicate that. Too much?

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom @ 180mm, f/8, 1/1000 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and slight cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

Side View

3 Likes

Nice catch Terry. I rarely see the checkerspots here. Usually Pearl Crescents. This comp works for me but the butterfly is centered. Wondering if you try cropping from bottom and left and still get the small in frame look you are after. Nice catch.

That is a beautiful little butterfly, Terry. I love the colors. I appreciate you showing both the backside of him as well as the underside of the wings as well. I agree with @Allen_Sparks that maybe you could crop just a little off the top and left to get it off-center just a bit. I’m not familiar with this butterfly, so it is a real treat. Love his colors.

I would leave this one as is as cropping may not improve the visual interest without a whole lot of work. Next time, try coming in closer so that the butterfly becomes the main player in the comp. When doing so, other elements in the image may soften up and cropping will be easier to pull off. Well done on this photo…Jim

Thanks @Allen_Sparks. It would be easy to mistake this little guy for a Pearl Crescent - and I probably have. I will play with the crop a bit and see if any improvement results.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I think it’s a striking butterfly, as well. It always fascinates me how such tiny creatures sport such intricate and colorful patterns.

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny. I think moving in closer would sorta defeat what I was after here. I wanted the butterfly to be noticeable, of course but also wanted to impart the impression of how small he is in the grand scheme of things. I will keep shooting!

1 Like