Common-checkered Skipper + Repost

A tiny butterfly, with a wingspan of 1 - 1 1/2 inches. This one is nectaring on Rosinweed Sunflower in my yard.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/13, 1/3000 sec., ISO 2000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Noise was pretty evident at ISO 2000, but DeNoise seemed to handle it well.

Repost

Terry, I like the flower and the little butterfly busy at work. I’m not sure why, but the greens look way too green on my screen. Everything else the colors look right. Nice details in the flower and BF. The wing spread is on an open flower that is almost flat is a nice bonus in my opinion. Nice shot.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. I didn’t do anything to the greens in post; i.e., I didn’t “enhance” them in any way. I did consider desaturating them a bit, but failed to do so. I have done it now and will repost. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Colors in the RP are more natural looking. It’s easy to think colors come out of a camera (or into the raw converter) as they should be, but not true. Cameras have an assortment of profiles that give very different colors and contrast (which affect the back of camera picture for a DSLR and the viewfinder of a mirrorless, as those are JPEGs that use the in-camera profile we set), and so do raw converters. None are accurate, and neither are the various WB settings. And then there is the variability of monitors and their profiles. The only way to get it right (accurate) involves some careful profiling. But the easy way, which is often enough, is just to have a good calibrated monitor (much better these days than 10-15 years ago) and not to believe what comes up when you open an image.

It can be very difficult to see color accurately, as our brains compensate for things like blue shadows. Deciding what is right is mostly experience, and it helps to compare several different images. Shooting a gray card in the ‘exact’ same light and neutralizing it and copying that WB to other images in a shoot can help, but even that isn’t always the best result. A color checker card is better, but who has time?

2 Likes