Common Checker Skipper

This little guy showed up on some wildflowers at the edge of our yard this morning. I wasn’t familiar with him, so I had to look up his name. I think I got it right. It was just good to get out in the yard and shoot a little. Don’t get to do that much these days. All comments and critiques welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I took this with my Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm lens HH. Manual settings except ISO, f8, 1/800, ISO 320. Edited in LR and cropped it approximately 70% of the full frame. I couldn’t get quite close enough to him in this image without stepping on the wildflowers, but I like this one because of the nice oof BG.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice, Shirley. Good details and a pleasing background. Glad to know you have wildflowers growing in your yard!

1 Like

Beautiful photo Shirley. The details in it’s wings and eyes are great. Really like the OOF background and the color blends well the the butterfly. Nicely executed and great photo.

1 Like

Shirley: Exceptionally well done IMO. Good comp with the skipper looking into the frame and a very nice BG. Superbly crafted image. >=))>

1 Like

Well done, Shirley. Skippers are small and wary and I’ve only seen this species a very few times. This is a fine look that really shows off its striking pattern very well.

1 Like

Hi,

This resembles our grizzled skipper which is common in late summer. I like the pose which shows off the wings perfectly. BG is nice and smooth and like this as presented…Jim

1 Like