Common Checkered Skipper

Description:

While trying to photograph hummingbirds, a better target was found. With lows down in the 40’s tonight, this tiny skipper decided to crash for the evening in the hummingbird planter that is on our deck. The flower is black and blue Salvia. I decided to use this lens combo and the results are good.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 at 400mm (0.5 sec at f16, ISO 250) Levels, Topaz DeNoise AI, slight crop for comp, rubber stamp tool to remove oof plant part behind blue flower.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

4 Likes

Such nice details on the skipper and I love the green background with the bright blue flower!

1 Like

Gorgeous “perch” and wonderful BG! The lines suggest a wind-blown plant, although I know it’s not, and the skipper looks like he’s hanging on for dear life. Big smile!

1 Like

Hi Jim,
Love the composition here with the butterfly resting on top of the flower. Colors of the flower are subtle but give a powerful impact. Well done.

1 Like

What a fine moment, Jim. You held your hand very steady for 0.5 sec. Hummingbird hawk-moths love feeding on this this plant in Korea. No improvements needed here, great butterfly on a great plant.

1 Like

Jim, I really like the paring of the flower and moth. They work quite well in the frame.

1 Like

Jim, I don’t think a hummingbird would have made a better subject. I love the position he is in, which I think really adds to the composition nicely, with him facing the same way as the blooms. A very nice smooth BG makes him and the flowers stand out very nicely.

1 Like

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman , @David_Bostock , @Mike_Friel , @Allen_Sparks , @Diane_Miller , and @Vanessa_Hill. The background was a compelling and motivating factor for me to take the shot…Jim

1 Like