Peek-a-boo! (+ Rework)

Here is the re-edited image with the suggested crop.

This was the original image.

“Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.” [Nathaniel Hawthorne]

That is exactly how I felt when I captured this and several other images in Mescalero, New Mexico. Just outside the St. Joseph Apache Mission, there was a large field of rubber rabbitbrush with a lot of pollinator activity. Of all the photos I captured that afternoon, this is one of my favorites. It was as if the butterfly was trying to hide from me, was aware of my presence, and made eye contact with the camera. I especially liked the strong presence of yellow hues both in the flowers and the butterfly. Nature’s palette is nothing short of extraordinary.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is mostly appreciated.

Technical Details

Processed in Topaz Photo AI, Photoshop, and Lightroom.
Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 17.47.12

Really nice view both in terms of environment and the 'fly itself. The separation of the tip to the base of the far antenna is a bit strange, but I know why it happened. I may have cropped a bit tighter if this was mine, and put the critter a bit off center to the left, but that’s a matter of preference. I think the technicals are good here with the head and eyes being so crisp and the wings so parallel to the focal plane. The angle of the light adds a nice glow to everything.

1 Like

First of all, thank you, Kristen, for your thoughtful comments. This particular issue with the far antenna has puzzled me a lot. I wish I could have moved just enough to get it on the right plane. As is, it gives the appearance the antenna is separated.

The cropping you suggested is really better. I played with that before posting the photo here. My only reason for sticking with this edit was that I wanted more yellow and less green on the right. As you indicated, having the butterfly more off-center would have been nicer and more pleasing.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and feedback, as always.

Hi Egidio,

I’ve looked at this a couple of times just to see if my impression of it changes in some way (it didn’t).

The eye is in sharp focus, the right antenna shows up well and the color of those wings hold my interest, the cut-off portion of the left antenna really doesn’t detract in my opinion, I suppose it’s because I already know what the antennas look like so not all of it being exposed to my view still works for me, and it kind of helps with the Peek A Boo theme.

The quote and story you provided adds to it as well.

Love the colors and the contrast between them. I understand why this could be one of your favorites out of the series. :slight_smile:

I do think that a slight crop on the left would make it stronger and I don’t think it would make it out of balance with the green color on the right.

Nice cheerful image IMHO

All the best,

1 Like

Merv,

Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed comments. Also thanks for the editing suggestion. I do appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback.

1 Like

Egidio, what a nice "peek-a-boo image of this beautiful butterfly. The colors are so nice, and wonderful details in the BF. It would be nice if the whole antenna was visible, but this is such a great look at him trying to keep partly out of sight from you while pollinating. Maybe a bit off the left would improve the shot even more without taking too much of the yellow off the left. I can sure see why this is your favorite shot.

1 Like

Shirley,
Thank you for the comment and suggestions. The antenna is indeed what has puzzled me since I got the shot. The only thing I can think of that gave it that look is that perhaps something in the foreground obstructed the full view of the antenna.

2 Likes

@Kris_Smith , @Merv , and @Shirley_Freeman , my sincerest apologies for this terrible oversight. I thought I had already submitted a revised version of the image with the suggested crop. Only today did I realize I had not done that. Sorry if it has taken me so long to correct the oversight.

I did look over the RAW file about the antenna. I see it was obscured by a portion of the flowers in the foreground.

2 Likes