Shocking! & Rework

Rework…

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was at my favorite spot on a canyon road. It’s a creek that only flows from spring to summer and then dries out. Spotted this little butterfly/moth, maybe it’s a Skipper? He was drinking water. I love the expression on his face, he looks like someone told him some surprising news!

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Nikon D3400, ISO 800, f8, 300mm, 1/1250. Cropped to get some brightness out and a dark rock.

1 Like

Vanessa, my first reaction to your photo is that it conveys a wonderful summer day with lots of sunshine and coolness in the air. Nothing like the heat we are experiencing. I like the photo, especially for its composition. It is not every day that I see a butterfly near the water such as in your photo. That bokeh is also another plus. Of course, the look on the butterfly’s face is priceless. If I were editing this image, I might have tried to tone down the luminosity in the background. My eyes keep shifting to the ULC, especially. This is such a lively image and shows a lot of character in your subject. Nicely done.

1 Like

Vanessa, what an expression you captured here. He does look surprised. Maybe because he wasn’t expecting you and your camera! I agree with Egidio on trying to maybe tone down the bright area, especially in the ULC. Love the expression of the BF that you captured.

2 Likes

Hello @Egídio and @Shirley_Freeman! Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes, I see what you mean about the brightness in the background. I tried to tone it down a bit and reposted it. Does it look better now? I’m glad you liked the expression as well! I wasn’t sure if it was just in my own imagination!

2 Likes

Vanessa, I knew that area would be difficult to tone down, but I think you did very well in the rework. The BF is holding the attention now. Very well done!

1 Like

Yes, it does look surprised about something or another. :slight_smile:
It’s a wonderful pose even without the expression.

Sometimes it’s well worth the unwanted BG elements just to get a pose as nice as this.

I hope you don’t mind but I downloaded it and played around with the BG as well as a few spots in the FG.
I selected the BF, copied it and put it on a separate layer so I could blur and darken the BG without effecting the BF.

The only drawback from my edit is that it removed obvious hints of water.

Very nice image, Vanessa! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, nice head on catch of this butterfly. Love seeing the large gray eyes in contrast with the rest of the butterfly. To me, your repost is an improvement but I like what Merv did as well. I guess the butterfly was mineraling in this creek and you did a nice job catching him in the act.

1 Like

Vanessa, I really like the new edit. It made the butterfly’s color pop nicely. It’s a difficult compromise to keep the nice bokeh you had and highlight the butterfly at the same time. The new edit worked well.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions! I like what you did @Merv because it highlights the butterfly more but I do miss the bg bokeh and water as I think those elements help to know where the bf is. I never heard of mineralize before @Allen_Sparks , that’s interesting, I guess they need that more than just water? I’m glad the rework looks a little better @Shirley_Freeman and @Egídio ! Thanks again!

2 Likes

Wonderful catch!! I do like the way @Merv subdued the BG.

2 Likes

Vanessa: I’m late to this party but love the image and your rework. This is definitely a butterfly and a variety of fritillary. I’m not sure of the specific breed without a better look at the wings and knowing what part of the country you found it. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks so much @Diane_Miller and @Bill_Fach for your input. Thanks for the clarification,Bill! I actually have a shot with the wings…oh! And this is in Lakeview, OR. …

1 Like