Peek-a-boo

My apologies to all who post here regularly. I’ve been AWOL for the past several weeks dealing with moving from a practice where I’ve worked since 2002 to a new and better opportunity. The change is a real blessing but still somewhat stressful and there is always the trepidation when going to another job. I’ll try to reengage in the coming weeks but really want to thank Shirley for her faithful presence and for all her help with moderating duties.
I indulged myself with a trip to the Mercer Arboretum with the new camera this morning. Still working the kinks out and learning how to position for macro shots with a full frame sensor. I’ve been APS-C ever since I went from film to digital in 2006. The arboretum was hit hard by our February freeze, especially the tropical section but there was a nice stand of poppies to work over. I watched this bee on this particular bloom and was fortunate to catch him peeking at me for just a split second but I got a well timed click. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-400 GII @ 400mm
ISO 800, 1/1600 @ f8

The flower alone with the revealing petal malfunction would be enough, but the bee is a wonderful bonus. The light in the flower itself is interesting and makes for some nice textures. And of course the crazy top. Background is smooth and has good contrast. The colors may have been a bit richer if you used a polarizer, but this is pretty fab. Sorry about the freeze, but congrats on the new job. I hope it keeps you in cameras for a long time!

Nicely seen and captured, Bill. Love the colors and of course the bee peaking out makes the image. Great job.

Bill, thank you for your kind comments. I am glad I could hold the fort, but you were sorely missed. No more AWOL for you for awhile! :grinning:

Perfect timing on this. Love the bee peeking around the petal. Congrats on your new full frame camera. I didn’t realize you hadn’t had a full frame since film. You will enjoy, I’m quite sure.

Wishing you the best in your new job.

Bill, the bee peeking at us is a fine addition to this very interesting poppy. That seed head at the back is a fascinating shape. While the main subject would work as a horizontal, there’s a nice sense of “rising up” motion in this vertical.