Peeps in Motion

I bet I’ve photographed a thousand sanderlings over the years, but this is the first time I’ve gotten a shot like this with the running and flying( actually, I think the fliers are Dunlin) in the same frame. So, not perfect, but for me a nice shot.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm. 1/2500 at f8: ISO 400

1 Like

Ok this is really cool! I love the combo of running and flying sanderlings! I was wondering if it may benefit from something closer to a 16:9 crop, but I like the addition of the slight reflections below. Perhaps a little off the top? I do like it as presented though!

1 Like

A really neat image, Allen. Excellent job getting them all in focus. I like @Jenaya_Launstein composition suggestion. My wife pointed out that the three in the air are a different species (least Sandpiper maybe?). Excellent work.

1 Like

Oops. I didn’t look closely enough at them, but your wife is (as, I’m sure, always) correct. I believe they are juvenile Dunlin.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re Dunlin. I’m not good at shorebirds. I think I was keying off the complete throat circlets, but that might not be a good thing to look at.