Pelican dive

Seen on the beach at Sanibel Island, FL. That is all the room I have top and bottom without adding canvas which I may do later - it would be a very easy add of course.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/2500s, hand held.

Any comments appreciated.

allensparks.wildlife

Unusual position. You can anticipate the splash of the water. Absolute sharp focus throughout. Great capture!

Excellent detail and fine diving pose.

Such an excellent shot, Allen. Love the position that you caught him in. Wonderful details in his feathers. :+1: :+1:

I think you picked a good choice for your frame ratio here. The diagonals of the wings work exceptionally well. Super job on the detail, color, and flight position. Pelicans are certainly fun to look at. I’m pretty impressed with the diversity of avian life you have captured at Sanibel Island.

1 Like

This is nice! Those wings couldn’t be any more extended. And there’s not a shadow to be seen. Comp.-wise, I think I’d prefer a bit more room top and bottom to make this a vertical.

I have been cursed trying to get a decent image of this species Allen, so I’m incredibly jealous over this one. I love the bird’s position and ‘pose’ and a plain sky background is what you’re going to get when this happens unless you’re shooting from a drone or hilltop. I don’t think you need to add canvas to this, but if you do I wouldn’t think more than a tiny bit on the bottom. It’s too nice to see all that under-wing feather detail to lose it for no really good reason.

Great pose you captured here. I tried only one time and failed miserably, but you caught the right pose for sure. Agree that the crop works well here. Cheers, Hans