Peregrine pair

For years I’ve heard about a Peregrine nest site at the coast near our area, and this year I finally located them. I think they have a nest, probably on the back side of this rock, facing the ocean. The overlooks make it long lens territory.

The larger female is on the left, having just flown in, apparently from delivering breakfast to the kids. (The male is banded but the female isn’t.)

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, EF 600 f/4 + 2X, f/8, ISO 2000, 1/1000 sec. Bad choice on the SS – not enough to stop action for the few times one came or went. Full frame as captured, minimal LR tonal adjustments, Topaz DeNoise.

1 Like

Very cool image with both of them together and facing one another, Diane. I’m seeing just the faintest lack of clarity in the larger image from all the glass, but not enough to matter. You should be able to get some cool flight shots now that you’ve located it.

What a wonderful sighting! Very nice image too, love the rugged environmental photo.

Always nice to see a pair of Peregrines. I like the feather detail on the female falcon. the Topaz DeNoise worked nicely.

This is really nice. Light is great. Love that you have both in a single frame. Like Dennis noted, there’s probably some atmospheric haze, but I’d sharpen the birds a bit more, and if you’re so inclined, I’d probably clone the white wash on the rock. Aren’t you in Texas? Didn’t know y’all had rocks like that there!

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, @Vanessa_Hill, @Stephen Stanton, @Lyle_Gruby ! I did remove some whitewash – left some for authenticity. Never sure how much to clean up. I’ll see if I can do more sharpening – I think there is a newer DeNoise since I did this one. The noise wasn’t bad. The sea air is lousy with moisture and that confounds sharpness. These guys were about 200 ft away. That, and limited DOF is likely more the problem than softness from the TC – that lens (the EF II) is amazing with the 2X III, if shake and DOF are controlled. DOF is more likely the main culprit here.

Lyle, I’m in Sonoma County, CA – up the coast from San Francisco.

1 Like