Peregrine surfing on a Raven

Image:

Description: This image was taken about 3 weeks ago in foggy conditions over the Southern California coast. The Peregrines have a nest site and so do the ravens about a half mile up the coast. The peregrines do not tolerate anything that can put their chicks in jeopardy and this attack was because the Raven simply got to close to their nesting site. What’s interesting is that there are red tail hawks all over the place but you can’t hear one or find one anywhere near the peregrines nesting sites. Because of this, the squirrels ae heavily populated along the cliffs here and are afraid of nothing. The peregrines don’t hunt them so they have no predators in the immediate area.

Specific Feedback Requested: This is very high key because of the typical fog that hugs this area of the coast making for difficult shooting conditions and low light. Does the high key bother you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Z9, 100-400mm lens @400, ISO 2500, 1/2000, cropped significantly.

This is the actual cliff face that the peregrines nest in. You can see a photographer high on the cliff face looking down on a sitting peregrine falcon just below him.

1 Like

Wow! This is a very dramatic scene you were able to witness and capture! I know I wouldn’t have gotten any shots from this as I would have just been in amazement of watching it! I really like the high key look, it brings out the drama more. Great capture!

Feathers are a-flyin! What an amazing action shot. The poses and the open beaks - such intensity. Grappling and aeronautics! Incredible. I think the high key works perfectly because it emphasizes the drama and the life and death aspect of caring for kids.

Nice behavioral capture. These are two really mean species.
This is a great location for getting pictures of Peregrine’s. I’m pretty sure I know where you took this near San Diego. It seems that the chances of succeeding in this location are quite good. I was there once and got some pretty decent shots. If you live near the area, you are quite fortunate.

1 Like

Wow, terrific action shot, David. Wow.

@David_Haynes This is a very cool image. The high key exposure and treatment works well for me. I’m not sure why you chose to leave the very distant bird in the top and the specs on the left top that aren’t recognizable as birds. I’d want a clean white background with no distractions for this style of image.

@Vanessa_Hill , @Kris_Smith , @David_Schoen , @David_Bostock , @Keith_Bauer thank you for your comments.
This was actually taken in San Pedro near Los Angeles, I know the location you are talking about near San Diego David and I’ve shot that location as well. There are actually 2 locations in San Diego very near to each other in La Jolla and in Torrey Pines. They are both great locations.
Keith, there are Raven feathers that I left in the picture in the upper left portion of the image that I think add a lot to the story here. Glad you like the high key nature of this.
Thanks David, Kris and Vanessa. These guys really are fun to shoot but in all 3 locations you are standing on the edge of a vertical cliff which makes it all the more fun, allbeit a liitle bit dangerous.

1 Like

Nice high key look at this action - well captured. Good to know that the black specks are raven feathers - otherwise I would think to clone them out also but I agree with keeping them given their importance to the story here.

Now photography can enter the world of extreme sports! :sweat_smile:

Excellent action image, David. I like the feathers flying. I’m on a small screen, so it could be an artifact of that, but I’m seeing a red fringe along the bottom of the birds. I’d love to photograph this species, but that cliff is way too much for my fear of heights.

David
This is a very dynamic image and perfect timing. I don’t think the white sky is a problem and maybe shows how dramatic the situation is. This is the first time I have seen a good shot of an attack on a Raven. Usually they go after Pelicans even though the Ravens are more of a threat to the Peregrines.

@Vanessa_Hill , @Dennis_Plank , @Larry_Moskovitz , @Allen_Sparks
Thank you for commenting.
Vanessa…all three of these peregrine locations are on vertical cliff faces making them challenging and scary. I remember my first ti e at San Pedro, I kept thinking about an earthquake. Not a good thought on the face of a cliff. Thanks again.
Allen…glad the high key look works for you. To see the raven feathers this has to be seen large on a computer and not a phone or tablet. Thanks for your feedback.
Dennis…I’ll have to take a look at the fringing when I get home from my trip. I don’t have a large enough computer with me to be able to zoom in and see this. Thanks for bringing it up. I am not happy standing close to the cliff face on these shoots but its the only way to hopefully get a few shots. You have to pick your spot and hope they give you something close for your efforts.
Larry…yeah, even the juvis will go after pelicans after just a couply days of flying but I have not seen a raven attack before. Did you shoot these this year Larry? Thanks for your comment. Hope to see you out and about. Lots of skimmers at San Joaquin right now.

1 Like

An amazing image. Did the raven escape? The feathers add something to the comp and you crop slightly tighter if so desired. They don’t bother me and I like the image as presented. …jim

Hey Jim,
The rave sis escape. I think it was more of a warning shot to the ravens to stay clear of the peregrine nesting site more than anything else although there were feathers flying. I have more frames where there are whole feathers but the action is not as good. Glad you like this as is. I’ll try cropping a little bit tighter. Thanks for the suggestion and the comment Jim. Also, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I’m on vacation with family for 2 weeks so I’ve been a little bit off the radar lately.