Peshtigo River

Description: I’m trying to take time to start posting a few images here again. This is a picture I made this past week while on a short (3 day) photo trip in northern WI and Upper MI. I made this shot on the Peshtigo River in Marinette County, WI just as some very light rain was starting.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any thoughts welcome and wondering what you think of this composition.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5D4, Canon 16-35 F4L @16mm, ISO 100, F/16 1/2 sec with Breakthrough CPL

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Oh my, that is a sweet image. The composition is outstanding. 16mm sure works well in this scene. The only thing I might change is to brighten up the image a touch. But, I don’t know if that would spoil the feeling…really nice work. BTW, I really like the Breakthrough CPLs and Neutral Density filters.

Thanks David, I did brighten this web version just a bit and maybe a touch more would be ok. I like those filters as well. Nick

I love the water here – perfect SS! The surrounding rocks are very different and interesting, and the overhanging tree acts as a nice frame. I’m not so crazy about the white sky and wonder about cropping most of it off. My eye wants to stay on the water.

It’s difficult to be sure, but looking at the distant water, I wonder if a slight CCW rotation is in order?

Peshtigo! Do you live in WI or MI? Marinette is over a few counties - I’m in Lincoln.

I’ve tried to shoot this river once, but didn’t get to the right location. Obviously you didn’t make that mistake. The way the rocks almost seem to cradle the water is wonderful and I never met a bendy tree I didn’t like. The far dead tree makes a nice border as well. I think Diane is right that you could crop the sky or clone a bunch of it and keep our eyes on that water. Looks like a typical northern river. I bet the eagles, mink and otter love it. I’d love to know this location if you wouldn’t mind sharing. I feel a waterfall trip coming on with all the rain we’ve been having.

Diane & Kris, Thank you so much. I don’t mind the gray sky in this but can see that it might be an improvement doing a crop. Maybe just staying above the curved overhanging branch a little will work and I can give that a try. Like you I like how the water and rocks look and it would be nice to keep the eye in that area.
Kris, This is at Goodman Park and Campground and Strong Falls near Athelstane, WI. The town is only about 500 people or so. If you look up Goodman Park and Campground I’m sure you will find it. I crossed over the footbridge above Strong Falls and then went left (down river) just a bit and found this composition. Thank you, Nick

Late to the game here Nick, and I do really love this composition. I agree with @Diane_Miller regarding both her points. The brightness of the sky is pulling my eye away quite significantly from an otherwise spectacular scene. I love the framing of the rocks and the downstream look. For me, this is a scouting shot and I’d come back (if possible) when there’s some fog to minimize the effect of the sky. Some would try to clone in a bunch of neighboring leaves to block out the sky, but my opinion is that there’s too much to try and remove. So, I’d go back when conditions allow.

Hi Jim, I appreciate getting your thoughts on this and thank you. The more I have looked at this I agree with the thoughts on the sky. I did do a crop version with a little cloning and I think it works ok. Just did it to the web version quickly to get an idea if I liked it and I do. I can work on the large file later when I have a bit more time. I would love to photograph this scene with fog and hope that happens…maybe this fall. It is about 5-6 hours away otherwise I would be there often. Cheers, Nick

Nick, I love the composition here too, that “bowl” created by the rocks makes for a very impressive forground. I also like how the overhanging branch helps to complete the bowl in the center. I think @Diane_Miller and @Jim_McGovern are right on the money about the sky, your rework is substantially better. One of the unwritten “rules” of waterfall and stream photography is that the stream should be flowing towards the viewer. But you broke the rule very successfully here. The stream flowing away leads to the overhanging branch and glowing foliage.

Great image Nick, I hope to see you posting more often here, I always enjoy seeing your work.

Hi Ed, I enjoyed reading your comment and thank you so much. It doesn’t seem very often that I shoot water going away from me but it did seem to work here. I’m going to try and spend more time here and have always enjoyed NPN going back to the very early days of it. Cheers, Nick

Well you pretty much nailed this! Dang! Superb and I must say I’m humbled by not thinking of a more aggressive crop!