Phalaropes, Owens Lake

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shooting Owens Lake on three occasions in 2023 was the high point of the year for me. I knew a bit about it before the year began, then attended the Owens Lake Bird Festival in April, where I learned more about how to navigate the maze of dikes which create a vast habitat of shallow ponds for migratory birds at the lake’s north end. Armed with improved knowledge, I shot three long mornings in spring, summer and fall, arriving each time before sunrise and finding myself blissfully alone with thousands of wild birds. This shot is just one of the moments where I filled the frame with Phalaropes.

Specific Feedback

Just sharing; would be interested in advice on shooting these kinds of flock situations.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6II, F11, 1/3200th, ISO 1100, 400MM telephoto, handheld.

James, the frame filled with nicely sharp Phalaropes is amazing. I also like that you can tell something about the environment.

Thanks Mark

James: I really envy you the experience and opportunities. I’m not a bird guy but do cherish those solitary early dawn moments when it’s just me and the natural world to appreciate. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks Bill. When I’m out and the birds don’t provide me opportunities, I often turn to close up and macro, particularly on wild beaches and along rocky coastlines. I can get lost in a tide pool as easily as I can wandering a marsh in search of bird targets. We are blessed to fill our lenses with unlimited beauty near and far.