Phoenix

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A Eastern Redbud lit by the setting sun
Susquehanna state Park, MD

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D200, 150mm, 1/20 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, -1 ex comp

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Beautiful picture! I love the composition, the dark background and the feeling of trimidensionality it has.

This turned out so much better than mine did Mike! The darkness of the BG makes the magenta buds explode with color while getting rid of a busy BG; the perfect canvas if you will. Did you darken the BG? I ask because mine are all way to light and way to busy. The evening light was sublime and the title is perfect. No suggestions from me.

That’s beautiful Mike! Love the title too.

I may need to recalibrate my monitor, but on mine this appears really dark; almost black in the shadows. (Maybe that was the intent?) If I open those a tad and add just a touch of brightness to the pink I like the affect (at least on my monitor…).

2 Likes

That looks good too @John_Williams.

1 Like

Michael, this is a great look at this Redbud with lots of blooms. The almost black background makes the presentation highly dramatic and really lets the blooms pop. As something to try, I wonder about some burning-in the vegetation at the bottom, but keeping some light there.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe
No I did not darken the BG, although it was my intention to make it go dark. I underexposed 1 stop and with the D200 limited dynamic range, that made for a dark BG. I did clone out some sky patches that were showing through the trees.

Thanks @John_Williams , @Ed_Lowe , @Mark_Seaver , @Nico.Rebolo for the comments and suggestions.

Thanks @John_Williams for the rework. My intention was for a very dark BG. I didn’t realize how dark the luminosity of the tree was until I saw your rework. I much prefer the tree in yours and the BG in mine.
I think we all need a monitor calibration. :rofl: :rofl:
On my brothers monitor, my original looks like your rework. And your rework looks way too bright. I always tell him his settings are too bright