Susquehanna Redbud

This is my take on the redbud that my brother Mike posted an image of recently. I spent so much time trying to find a comp that emphasized the V shape of the limbs that also had a relatively clean BG that I had blinders on to other compositions.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome. I have played around with the color and this is what I decided on. Does it look to warm?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 80mm, f 16 @ 1/50 sec, ISO 400, MLU, cable release & tripod

1 Like

It’s easy for us critiquers to Monday morning quarterback comps and distractions, but in real life finding clean stuff in nature is not easy, and often involves making some compromises. Yeah a couple background branches might be distractions, but I bet that you had to work pretty hard to get this as clean as it is. This is the only distraction that I think is worth dealing with.

I agree with you that the V-shape is the key to this image. And i think your placement of the V creates a nicely balanced composition. To have a magenta / green color contrast work well you have to have reasonable amounts of both, and I think the V helps achieve that, it separates the image into zones of those two colors. This visual separation helps add some simplification to what could have been a very busy scene.

1 Like