Phosphorescence

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photo was taken on the beach at Bandon, Oregon. The sea stack is the iconic Face Rock. What made this shot different was that the sun was just beginning to come up behind me and light the sea stack and the moon was setting over the ocean.

Specific Feedback

I have taken this as far as I know how and would like any additional suggestions you can offer.

Technical Details

15.0 sec. at f11, ISO 250
Processed in Lightroom

2 Likes

Hi Chris! Bandon is one of my favorite places. You were so lucky to be there at this time when the rising sun meets the setting moon. The soft dawn light on Face rock is sublime. Excellent composition. The balance is also excellent. I like how the light lines up and goes right through the rocks. Great directional light. Next time you have this type of scene with a low angle sun, if you need depth of field, shoot stopped down, then take a shot wide open and focusing on the foreground. That way, you’ll have a large sun if you want to mask it into the image. I really like this!

Tony,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful critique of my image. I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Chris

Hi Chris! :slight_smile:

This is really good!!
I love that you were able to capture this when the sun and moon were so well aligned for this scene.
The composition is very well balanced with the moon and associated reflections on the water placed right of center, then nicely offset by the large sea stack left of center.
The colors are great as well.

Just for the sake of exploring, maybe try increasing the contrast quite a bit, then raise the brightness slightly. You would need to have a linear gradient mask top to bottom so the FG area doesn’t get too dark.
It would be a little punchier but it would bring out those lovely colors a little more. :slight_smile:
Then top it off by printing it on aluminum in whatever size that fits your wall hangings accordingly :smiley:

That said, it really is ‘Great’ as presented, that’s for sure! :slight_smile:

Hi Chris:

You’re very welcome!

Best regards,

Tony

@Merv Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.