Pied Bill Grebe & Repost

A very foggy morning At Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge in Southwest Washington. Dennis Plank and I went down there early Saturday morning. It never really cleared the entire day so processing is a little bit of a challenge. Lower light levels required higher iso most of the time of the light took a chance here with a slow shutter speed.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 400, 200-500 at 480mm, f8, 125th, D500 on a beanbag (car window), DxO photo lab, Adobe camera raw 11, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 10%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I really like the drying wing pose that you captured. The detail and the DOF are working very well for the shot. I’m not sure, but based on the reflection I think it needs just a bit of clockwise rotation to level the shot. I usually make sure that the tip of the bill is exactly vertical with its reflection to level my floating bird shots. Very minor though and for that matter it may not need adjusted.

Sweet, David. That machine-gun shutter caught the head turn-I missed it. Excellent job removing the fog and you have superb detail. You might remove the patch of water weed at the left wing tip. With this pose, I think this would work centered as well.

Very cool look at this guy (one of my favorite birds).
A rare look at the wings and a nice head turn…

That’s an interested pose for the reflection. It really catches my attention. I might want a bit more room on the right but very minor personal preference.

Thanks to everybody for their assistance with this image. Here’s a repost with some of the suggested changes.

1 Like

Excellent job on the repost, David.

I love these birds, too. You’ve got a pose that I don’t think I’ve seen before. IQ and DOF are great, especially given the conditions. It looks to me like you still need a little more clockwise rotation on the repost. Also, I’d clean up the water a bit more to make this image really sing.

The reflection and resulting graphical shape are what makes this special for me, David! A good job with the exposure and excellent clarity. Well done!

The wing orientation and reflections are amazing. I’m wondering you might experiment with having the bird stand out more from the background, i.e. soften or darken it.

lucy