Pied Kingfisher - improved version added

Panasonic GX8, Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400.

The contrast with the lovely background and the kingfisher is really nice. That color palette in the BG is great. It looks like it might have been raining very lightly? There are a couple of streaks on the left that look like rain drops. Since there are so few, they are just a distraction and I’d remove them.

In an ideal situation the perch wouldn’t be so big and so obviously cut off by humans, but you can’t win them all.

1 Like

Excellent detail and color. Pleasing BG. I agree there are too few rain drops to be significant. A little too centered for my taste.

1 Like

An utterly gorgeous background, Jaapv. Your depth of field is excellent to get the relatively large perch and the bird both in excellent focus and still get that smooth background. I’m indifferent on the rain streaks. I don’t think they hurt. I do think a touch off the right and corresponding amount added to the left would improve the composition. A lovely image.

1 Like

Such great details in this beautiful bird, as well as the perch, Jaapv. And as others have already mentioned, that background really makes him and the perch stand out. I can live with the drops or without, but I agree with Dennis that if it were mine, I think I would crop off some on the right, and if possible (I haven’t done much with adding canvas with content aware) add some to the left, since he has such a long beak, to give him a bit more room to move. Great shot.

1 Like

Neat looking bird and you’ve got great detail. Stands out well against the nice background. I could see cloning out the two prominent rain drops. Agree with the cropping suggestions. An enviable shot; well done.

1 Like

Definitely improvements :slight_smile: Thanks

2 Likes