Pied Poise +Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In this image, a Little Pied Cormorant graces me with its presence, close enough to capture the quiet strength it carries. It looks out to the ocean, a place it belongs, with a calm that I felt lucky to witness.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

238 mm at ISO 1600 and 1⁄6400sec at ƒ/10

A nice portrait and B&W works well for this species, Saundie, though if it’s similar to our local cormorants, it has a really cool looking eye that comes across very well in color. My personal taste would be for a considerably looser frame, but that’s just my taste.

Great capture and portrait. Nice details in the bird, and I love the blurred background. I really like the B&W look for this bird portrait. I think it would be good to show more what the bird is looking out at by having a little more space in the frame in front of the bird. Overall, still a very nice B&W portrait of this lovely bird.

The black and white works well and the black feather detail looks very good. I, too, could see a bit more room for the bird to look into. Had to look it up with Dennis’s comment on the eye, but the eye is apparently dark, so no loss of color there, though it does have a nice yellow bill.

@Lori_A_Cash @Dennis_Plank @Allen_Brooks

Thanks for the feedback! I will extend the crop to the right. Dennis our Pied Cormorant has a yellow surround of the eye perhaps that’s more like the one you have, but the Little Pied Cormorant doesn’t.

This is a color version of this one.

Saundie, what a confident fellow or gal. The B&W is nice, but I do like the colored version. The coloration in the feathers gives it an extra pazazz. The yellow bill makes the B&W more interesting, in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks Barbara, I had a feeling you might prefer the color. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Saundie, nice catch of this cormorant - interesting color pattern compared to ours in the US. I like the rework with more room on the left and slight preference for the color version. Nice exposure throughout on the bird.

I see I am getting a pattern going. I like both B & W and color, depending on the subject.

1 Like