Piney Point Light House on the Potomac Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. Sorry, no technical information available, Canon 5ds-r , taken early 2019. strong text Remove door/window from upper right cornor- ghosting from clone. Change sky using Topaz mask AI

Hi John,

I think this is a nicely framed shot of this lighthouse and a nice coloured sky.

Did you process this image in 16 bit? The reason why I ask is that there is some banding in the sky where there are tonal and hue transitions and this might be an easy fix if this was processed in 8 bit.

Hi Nathan, Don’t know why but this shot was processed in 24 bit? I usually process at 16bit.

Hi John…what a beautiful combination of light and house you have here! The sky looks to be pretty gorgeous as well.

From a compositional perspective, the light and house balance the image nicely from left to right. The overall scene appears a bit tightly compressed however and I personally would like to see a bit more environment demonstrate to give a better sense of the region.

This image appears to have undergone some HDR type post-processing and the overall image has some “crunchiness” that can be found in some HDR processing techniques. There’s some haloing through the bush on the right and the sky is significantly darker than the rest of the image…which may have been true to the scene, but de-emphasizes it more than my eyes wish. Again, personal preference.

There are some funky colors to my view in the sky cyan/magenta banding/cast. But I’m not viewing this on a color-corrected monitor.

Anyway, hope this helps and let me know your thoughts on the above.

1 Like

Thanks Jim, Believe most of the banding is from an overworked scene. Had to go tight on this photo because of structures too close on the back , including a large oil pipeline on the entire horizon . The location has a petroleum tank farm and a huge loading/unloading pier for ships. I stood in a small pond adjacent to the light house and house to get the shot. I was impressed with the cattails in the forefront. You are right on the sky colors, will try to tone down the colors and do a better job of blending the colors.

Wayne: One MUST view this large to really appreciate the intricate detail and overall comp. I can’t find much fault with how this turned out. Even the thumbnail got my attention. Beautiful scene superbly composed, captured, processed and presented. >=))>

Thanks Bill, I really appreciate your post. I hope to do a repost tomorrow with a complete replacement of the sky and I will notify all that the sky has been replaced.
Wayne

A very interesting image. Great detail/texture in the buildings and the overall lighting gives it a special appearance. I have to ask, though, what is going on in the sky in the right upper corner? There appears to be a door or window in the sky. Overall, I think some work on the sky and this will be a killer image.

Thanks Allen, Made correction to sky and posted a new photo with different sky, using Topaz Mask.

Good work on the re-post and I think the sky complements the rest of the image. Only nit would be there’s a dark spot on the upper right and a bit of the original frame shows on the right side.

It’s amazing how well that software replaces the sky. It looks natural to me. And I prefer the new cleaner sky :+1:

Thanks Nathan, the Topaz Mask AI did not work quite as well as I hoped. . . had to rebuild a couple of areas. The software may be more effective on a more clean file, one that is not slightly overworked as this photo. Will be using it more later and well see how it does.
Wayne

I like the comp but am not overly fond of the processing. The colors in the sky are kind of funky. There’s a lot of noise in the sky and the image has a overly processed HDR look to it. And I feel the replaced sky does not work at all. The light is all wrong. In the FG it’s coming from the left and the sky it’s coming from the back. I would also clone out the dark spot in sky on right edge and the hotspot/ flare? on the door of the lighthouse. These are just my personal opinions.

John, I forgot to add - good job with the mask.