Pink Moon Rising Over the Salt Flats - No people were contacted during this shoot

This shot was taken last night over the salt flats. Had to get out of here. No people were contacted… I have had a lot of fund shooting the moon in the past, This was a treat. It still moves fast but you can keep the iso low. The Shutter Speed up and the Aperture at about f14. This was shot at ISO 320, at 200mm at 1/40th. at f14. The difficulty lies in dealing with atmospheric distortion. Anyone have any pointers as to how to get rid of it. A little dehaze… etc?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I love this just as it’s presented. I’m not sure dehazing would help anything. This is so simple, yet very evocative. It could pass as the definition of tranquility. The only suggestion I might offer, and I don’t know if it would help, would to maybe run this thru Topaz Denoise.

I love the concept of this image. The moon looks crisp and sharp. I also love the contrast of the golden moon against the pastel blues in the rest of the image. The luminosity and colors look wonderful here. Yeah there is a little bit of noise, but this image is otherwise very well processed.

While I like this as presented, I have an alternate vision for this scene. It almost fells like the reflection is competing wit the moon, and I could see a second image where you crop the bottom to eliminate the reflection. I think having just the moon alone strengthens its impact.

Drew,

This is a wonderful and beautiful full moon rising image. The colors are great, although I think you have some room to even emphasize the pinks up top - the earth’s shadow.

I’m not picking up much distortion so not clear on what you might be trying to fix. The dof is fairly shallow given you focus on the moon which is leaving the water, reflection, etc. a bit soft. Which is not an issue mind you, this all about moon anyway.

I like the reflection and the overall comp as presented.

Two small nits. You might consider cloning out the dark structure on the left and maybe even the smaller dark things on the water horizon. The other thing is of course personal choice. I’m not sure if you place your signature in the same spot for consistency or how you decide, but for this particular image, the signature kinda takes away from the impact of the scene a little bit even encroaching in to the reflected moon. Not a huge deal as our critiques should be image focused. So this one is my opinion.

BTW, wasn’t that an orange moon? :wink: :roll_eyes:

Lon

Drew, this is a great full moon shot, where the reflection adds a lot to the viewing. The world’s military and astronomy communities have spent many billions of dollars coming up with ways to minimize atmospheric distortion and it all happens during image acquisition. The touch of color in the sky and it’s reflection are a nice bonus. My one thought would be to rotate your camera a bit to set up a triangle comp. with the moon, it’s reflection and that structure as the three main elements. You can get that here by cropping about half of the space to the right of the moon although I do like that taller mountain in the distance over there. Yes, it is amazing how fast the moon moves.

I really like the look of this, and don’t see any distortion that I would consider a problem.
I agree somewhat that the reflection is competing with the moon itself for attention, so I would just tamp it down a bit like this:

-Mike

1 Like