Pitchers at Sunset

Sarracenia flava with their “mouths agape” during sunset. This was taken at Green Swamp in North Carolina.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon EOS R
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

3 Likes

Wow! I love what you’ve done to the sun - how did you achieve this? The plants are very clear too - well done.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! The pitcher plants can only grow in clearings but these clearings are surrounded by fairly sparse pine forests that allow quite a lot of light to come through during sunset but they do partially block off some of the light which helps create the different spheres of light.

Dvir…Thats top class. Love the amount of dof you have achieved here. Fine piece of work.

Balan Vinod

Awesome image, Dvir. I love the background and the subject is perfectly positioned in the frame. Very cool.

1 Like

Wonderful!! These two are posing so nicely, with focus in the right place. The OOF ones in the BG contribute to the setting and the circles made by the sun are amazing! I don’t think I have ever seen that effect.

My only very small suggestion is to add a bit more canvas on the sides, as the pitchers feel a bit crowded by the frame.

1 Like

Beautiful combination of sun and plants.

I agree with @Diane_Miller’s suggestion for more canvas and would add that a vertical would be interesting to add the pitcher’s body.

Thanks Diane! I can thank the distant trees, which partially blocked the setting sun, for that effect. I agree that a bit more breathing room around them, even if just a tad, would have been preferable.

Thank you David! I appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

Thank you Paul! Yes, I agree that a bit more canvas would have given a bit of breathing room. I did also take some verticals but things are actually quite busy (with many other pitcher “heads” below this group which represented the highest leaves of the plant.