Plant Shoot

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hope this qualifies for analogues color. Blue and green I felt are close enough. I’m sure if you want to split hairs one could say this does not qualify. This is a plant shoot that I noticed while stopping at a very calm lake. The reflection is what caught my attention. I wanted the image to have an elegance and show how fragile this plant is. Simple, minimal and the reflection of the clear sky is what I was going for.

Technical Details

Took this image handheld. I took a few images while doing so this bubble came up and felt it made the image more interesting, maybe more balanced? I combined the sharper image of the plant and an image with the bubble. The bubble was perfectly place in the same place you see here. I just blended two images one for the bubble and the other for the shaper shoot. I used photoshop and ACR for color and dodging/Burn.

I really like looking at this image. The blue tones are awesome and the green is a perfect complement. Did you adjust the shades of blue in the foreground and background? Either way it looks very nice. Also, I agree with you description of the bubble. It definitely adds interest. I don’t have any suggestions as it seems really nice as is.

Thank you I’m glad you like it! The tones were similar, light on the top and dark in the foreground. I added a Linear gradient to the top portion of the background. I needed to make adjustments for a magenta color cast on the top. I also lightened the top a little. I did an oval radial gradient to lighten around the plant to add emphasis and draw your eye into the middle. I was going for a very subtle look for the gradients.

1 Like