Please Momma, Just one More Time? (+rework)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was in Yellowstone National Park last month and was fortunate to observe this interaction between a Bison calf and his pregnant mom. The calf had been eating the grass like everyone else in the herd, and then I watched him go over to mom and seem to say, “just one more nursing momma?” and sticking out her tongue. Sure enough minutes later, Mom relented.

Specific Feedback

I have the full image of both mom and calf but I felt a tighter crop helped to emphasize the interaction. I’m just learning wildlife photography, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

I captured using a higher ISO to ETTR in snow and used DxO PureRAW 3 for noise reduction. I’m on a trial run of the plug-in. So far, I have been happy with the plug-in.
ISO 1000
368 mm
F6.3
1/2000
Sony a7RV on a monopod/Sony 200-600 mm f/5.6-6.3 G lens

The second image was added for storytelling only, but any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Julia - sorry this kind of fell through the cracks. The first shot is a winner - that tongue! Tiny horns! Great mirrored positions in the two animals. The second one…it’s funny, but belongs in a blooper reel I think. :laughing: Without context of the other photo and your explanation, it just looks like a mistake so I prefer it as part of a series or larger narrative. The first one has such a great sense of depth with the flying snow between you and them.

Anyway…ETTR is the right way to go in snow to get the whites looking right, however I think they lack any detail I’d expect in snow, especially snow with a lot of animal movement and windblown stuff. I also think that the blacks are raised too high and lack punch. So, I’d play with both white and black points so that you aren’t clipping either. There should be a richness to each bison’s coat and a slight nuance in the whites and texture in the snow. Does that make sense?

Hi Kris,
Thanks so much for the super constructive feedback. I agree the second one is a dud. A perfect example of having an emotional attachment to an image due to the experience. I needed more time for it to steep after I returned from my trip. I will happily move it to the reject pile. The first one is a work in progress. Here is an updated version. I also posted a screenshot of the histogram. I adjusted the black and white points, the subject mask, and added some more definition to the snow in the foreground. I changed the profile from Adobe landscape to Adobe color and I think that improved the coat to a more realistic color. I wonder if the faces are too dark. Thanks!
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 9.03.37 PM

I’m glad you found it helpful! The rework looks terrific. Nice rich blacks and I can see where they have disturbed the snow - good texture and more context for what’s going on. If you feel the faces are too dark, you could go over parts with a brush and add a touch of exposure or bring up the blacks/shadows. Sometimes I will use a radial gradient over an eye to give that a little pop which could work here, too. Lots of possibilities. You could also selectively lighten the snow in between you with a luminosity mask in Photoshop. Lightroom’s masking might get it, too, if you use a brush intersected with a luminance range. A fabulous catch.

Showing your edited image side by side with the original image is a good idea. Viewers won’t have to scroll up and down to search for the edited image. While doing this, it is also helpful to edit the post’s title to indicate a revised image. Here’s what I suggest:

At the bottom of your post, click the pencil to edit the post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. If you want the edited image to appear first, I suggest placing the cursor at the top before the original image. Otherwise, go to the line after the original image and upload the new image. Since you are in edit mode, you can add new text before/after the images to ensure viewers know the original and edited versions. You can also edit the post’s title and add something to indicate a reworked or newly edited image. For example, some people add (+ rework) after the post title. I hope this helps.

1 Like

This, Kris!
I did do the masks on the eyes, and I tried lightening the faces using a modified object mask on each animal, but I like your recommendation to do it using a brush. I’ll do some more work using a luminance mask in the foreground. When I re-work it a third time, I’ll put it up next to the original for comparison as you described. Thanks again for your generosity of time in helping me with this!

Posting the rework with your suggestions. I used a linear gradient in the foreground and used a tone curve and clarity. (The LR luminance mask looked funky) It’s been a while since I practiced Ps luminosity masks in snow…you’ve inspired me to try that too. THANKS!