Poison Dart Frog

More wonders of the jungle here. These Poison Dart Frogs are quite poisonous and potentially deadly yet the handlers at the farm we visited have decreased sensitivity to the toxins due to frequent handling of these amazing small amphibians. They’re constantly dipping their hands in water after handling the frog.

At the place we visited, the frogs are caught the morning we went to see them, they are displayed for the photographers, and then they are released immediately back into the wild. While there, we saw seven different frog species. Another image is posted recently in the wildlife gallery.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-1600, 105 mm macro at F-16, 125th, flash at -3, 80% full frame, handheld, D 500, DxO Photo Lab, Adobe Camera Raw 11.2, Topaz AI Clear, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 5%.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the flash work on this one much better than the frog you posted in the wildlife gallery, David. this is nice and mellow, though that could very well be the frog itself. They posed this one in a very nice setting.

David, the red/blue combo is quite striking. It’s also good for a grin that this little one is stepping on that stick. The background blends in very well.

David: the flash served to bring out the fine detail and color in the skin of the frog. It really has beautiful coloration and is well posed in the leaves. You might consider cloning out the three spheres to the left of the frog. Excellent otherwise. Richard

Hi David,
Nice flash work and that is one huge eye. Nice pose on the frog and the colors work well. Nicely done.

David: What a fascinating critter. Are the frogs venomous or is their skin toxic? I suppose that makes them unpalatable to predators? In any event, good DOF management and POF on the eye. :+1::+1:>=))>

The secretions are venomous. This one, I believe is quite toxic but there are others that are more toxic. As far as I know, there are no venomous frogs in Costa Rica, only secretion toxic. Please see other comments to get a better idea of how they are share with the eco tour groups.