Red eyed Leaf Frog

Here is another view of the red eyed leaf frog in which I tried to control the intensity of the flash. Working so close to the subject with a macro lens and flash really affects the depth of field and darkness of background. One really needs to be careful with flash and aperture settings.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ISO 1600, 105 mm F2 .8 macro at F10, 2000th, handheld, fill flash at -3, 90% full frame, D 500

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Oh my goodness! That image jumped out at me from the gallery. Gorgeous colors! I think you did really well with the DOF. Beautiful.

Wow, david, you’re getting some excellent frog pictures. This one is a beauty - that red eye is incredible , and the comp, detail, and BG are your usual delight.
I got no frogs at all in CR, so I’m very envious.
Sandy

David,
You managed to control the flash more effectively here, and you got nice DOF. The flower worked well as a perch for the little guy-neat image.

Hi David: Very nice details on the most important parts of the image. The shallow depth of field worked just fine. I’ve done this kind of photography and the suggestion I would make is to get the flash off camera and attach a small soft box to the front of the flash. It makes a huge difference in the quality of the light.

Very well done, David. Looks like your DOF and flash control worked in your favor, and so did your focal length. Lots to like.

Cool, David. An excellent job on the frog and that flower makes a great perch. No nits here.

David: given the end result, you’ve done a fine job with the overall exposure. The frog is a real treat to look at. Richard

Beautiful image. Great choice of perch. Does not look over flashed to me.