Pond Buddies

Thought this might bring a chuckle…A pair of young bullfrogs seen at a local pond near Memphis. I spotted these frogs on the lily pad and waded in with a $6000 rental lens - hoping for the best. I did have a monopod to steady myself with.

Canon 7D, 400mm f4 DO IS, 1.4x TC II, monopod
ISO 400, f18, 1/160s

Cloned out some glare on the lily pads. Full frame image.
Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Allen
What a fantastic capture! It definitely gave me a chuckle. Kudos for being so brave with that lens. Yikes!

Excellent capture! and as, Kathy said, brave indeed!
Although difficult, I might try to remove the diagonal stem of the lily pad, and that bright area above the right frog.
Really cool!
Sandy

Great setting and fantastic capture !
BTW, I don’t think, if I could be so brave with my equipment.:laughing:

Excellent, Allen. Reminds me of a couple of young kids in their leanto. Hopefully you splurged for the insurance on the rental contract!

LOL Dennis, I don’t think the rental insurance covers water damage. Yikes! I certainly moved very slowly which probably helped my subjects stay put for the photo op. :grinning:

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Dave, this is really hilarious. They remind me of an elderly couple lounging poolside under an umbrella. Really great poses!
I thought all this time you owned that 400 DO. I certainly wouldn’t have done that with mine!

@Bill_Leggett,
I own the 400 DO IS II now. This is a shot from my archives when I rented the version I of the lens.

Wow, I love this shot, Allen! I did have a nice chuckle. The frogs do remind me, with that leaf over them, of a couple on the beach. You are brave, to wade out with that kind of expensive equipment. Glad it all turned out okay, and you got this wonderful shot.

This scene just cracks me up Allen. I think my thoughts run very similar to Bill’s-a couple just enjoying the view poolside. Very brave of you to venture out with the rented lens- but your results exhibit your confidence in grabbing the shot in a calculated situation. Good on you and congrats on your EP!

Chuck