Reverent Calm

I found a small pond at the Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area. On the cattails were various green tree frogs in repose. Correct, the subject isn’t filling the frame. I believe the tapestry of blurred plants as background is an important setting or stage for the amphibian in question and is an integral part of the whole composition.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is my opinion on composition valid here? Is the frog too minimal a part of the frame area?

Technical Details

I had a D850 and 80 - 400 f5.6 (at 400) zoom attached. I shot at 400 mm, f5.6, 1/60 sec, handheld (good VR), at 800 ISO or so.

Kerry, this is a beautiful photo, with lovely background bokeh blur. I like your composition and like the frog the size he is and on the diagonal. I do have a few suggestions. You might want to soften the light on the frog right side just a bit so it’s not so bright/glaring by burning and you might want to take out the two reeds on the right by cloning or cropping as my eye tends to do there and out of the frame.

I think this is a nice frame. the inclusion of some habitat is a big plus. In the lower right corner you’ve included line (branch) that draws the viewer out of the frame. Cloning that out would be a big help.

I also think the balance between the light on the frog and the background could use some tweaks.

I wrote an article for NPN titled “Including the Environment - Context Matters” Here’s the link

I worked a bit on the image to see about the light balance and details on the frog. It also removes the branch. Here’s the result:

Very nicely done and much appreciated! There are things that the photographer won’t see due to his or her own presuppositions about an image. It takes the objectivity of an outside viewer to notice some things and how the eye is led out, etc.