Find the frog

More an abstract image than wildlife.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nicely composed. Like the colors. Forward facing frog maybe better. Thank You

A forward-facing frog would be better, but given the abstract nature of the image. I don’t think that’s as important. I actually think the crop/composition could be improved, either by centering the frog while shooting or having it in one of the “thirds” intersections.

The texture and colors are fantastic. Really makes it compelling even as a thumbnail.

Max

I started using the Lightroom template with the golden section where the intersections are more centred than template for thirds. Not sure if it works better for purely single subject images like wildlife?

Larry, I don’t think the particular type of subject makes any difference in that regard. It could be a frog, it could be a house, it could be a toadstool. To me it’s all about balance in the frame, and where you want the eye to go. Sometimes a singular subject with no directionality (i.e., facing toward or away from the viewer) really lends itself to a centered composition, because they draw the eye inward to focus solely on them.

In other cases, balancing it in one of the “thirds” allows the eye to branch out and explore in a certain direction–something that may also be dictated by a subject’s positioning (e.g., profile, pointing one particular direction), or what other secondary and tertiary subjects are in the frame.

But I often find that primary subjects caught in between these two can create conflict for the viewer. You may want a person looking or exploring the frame in one direction, but too much empty space or extra distracting elements the other way will create sort of an opposite force tugging their attention away. There are certainly exceptions in the case of abstract compositions, mirrored subjects, etc… but often an image that allows the eye to explore the frame smoothly and with some logical directionality may be more successful.

In this particular case, it could be the balance and spacing of colors and tones in the reflection that ultimately dictate where you want the viewer’s eye to go. I find the evenly-spaced texture in the water pretty effective, but the main subject is smaller, so maybe the different shades of greens and yellows ultimately will dictate where the viewer looks.

Max

I think this version with the frog centred works best. The overall balance of tones and colours I think is best. I did shoot this frog from the other direction and the colour and reflections were not as interesting. I think this image is not about the frog but the unique tapestry of reflections. Than you to Max for your thoughtful reply on my original image.

1 Like

Larry, I do think it’s improved this way. I’m still marveling at the colors and textures in this image.

Max