Ponderosa Confection, 2023

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

On this morning, the clouds were heavy and the snow was falling and I loved how the snow stuck to every surface. With this image I wanted to capture that natural phenomenon so I utilized a focus stack. I also wanted to contrast the snow with the colorful bark of the ponderosa pine so I cropped tightly with the zoom. I purposely composed for an asymmetrically balanced composition, and layered the snow-covered needle boughs against the trunk.

Creative direction

I want this image to convey the beauty of the tree in snow and the joy of winter, and to tell the story of the heavy snowfall. What other stories does it tell?

Specific Feedback

Iā€™m interested in feedback regarding aesthetics, concept, emotional impact, and artistic value. Youā€™re welcome to pick one or two for commenting.

Technical Details

Camera settings:
Processing settings in Lightroom:
Basic panel:
Vignette:

Description

On this morning, the snow was heavy and the clouds were very low, so it was essentially snowing in fog. Everything was covered in snow and I arrived at sunrise, reveling in solitude with the snowy landscape.

4 Likes

The image makes me feel the joy and beauty of the winter and I just want to go out and walk and to be in a snow-covered landscape.

For me the asymmetrical composition works well and that is due to the gap in needles closest to the trunk on the right side. The beautiful color of the trunk and the branches stands out very well against the white snow. The tree trunk and the needles make up a really nice texture and pattern. So, for me the image has a high artistic value.

The focus stacking seems to work very well giving sharpness throughout the depth of the image.

One idea could be to have the snow to be more evenly white everywhere regarding the layer closest to the viewer (but keep the greyness of the snow at the back). If so, some of the grey snow at the upper corners could be made whiter. What I am after is to have all of the image surface outside of the tree trunk to look the same. Now you have a slightly greyer upper part as compared to the rest of the image.

A really good image!

1 Like

Matt, this is a great look at this snowy Ponderosa Pine. The contrast between its warm brown trunk and snow covered branches is quietly dramatic. Your stacking maintains detail throughout the frame, which lets the textures and colors dominate the view. The varied brightness of the snowy branches adds to the 3D feeling.

1 Like

Very nice Matt. The trunk of the tree seems to almost nest in the snowy branches. I think that the asymmetry works. There are three sections of the photo to my eye. The two sets of needles on the right and left and the central trunk area with the branches. The offset of the trunk within that central area adds some interest there that works well.

1 Like

Just a gorgeous photo, perfectly cropped.

1 Like

A lovely image, Matt! The asymmetry of the tree trunk and the branches leading towards the right is a great composition; I personally love the varying degrees of ā€˜whitenessā€™ as that shows depth in this image, an important part of the overall impact. Yay for focus stacking, right? You did a great job with that, and really, itā€™s simply a lovely photo that does make me want to get out and find some snowy landscapes right now! (we are sitting in NM waiting for snow to hit us but it appears it will pass us by in our locationā€¦sigh)

1 Like

Matt, this image is absolutely gorgeous! I love it. It caught my eye immediately. Glad itā€™s yours. :slightly_smiling_face: I like the way you shared your camera and processing information. Iā€™ve seen that previously, and it looks a lot easier than transcribing it. Anyway, beyond that I can only see a couple of picky ā€œborder patrolā€ issues (top left ā€” and so minor itā€™s probably not worth touching up). Again, beautiful!

1 Like

Makes me appreciate hot cocoa and Baileys Matt. Iā€™d love to just sit in front of the fireplace and watch this scenery for hours. Nice job with the stack. Great details all over.

1 Like

Dang man, this is super nice! Iā€™m hoping to get out and photograph some pondos soon too, so this is nice and inspiring!

1 Like

Matt: Aptly titled and superbly composed, captured and presented. Makes me want to be there. >=))>

1 Like

This is a lovely intimate winter landscape Matt. For me this image says peace and solitude. Itā€™s about the crisp clean air and listening to the snow crunch beneath your feet. The contrasting cool tones of the snow works perfectly with the warmer ones of the pine bark. Beautifully done!

@Ed_Lowe @Bill_Fach @Matt_Payne @Ed_Williams @Susanna_Euston @brenda_tharp @Ronald_Murphy @Cameron_Wilcox @Mark_Seaver @Ola_Jovall

Thank you to each of you for your comments and feedback about what you liked and suggested. Iā€™ve made a couple of tonal edits and based on your positive feedback Iā€™ve elevated this image into my portfolio.

3 Likes