Bobcat Portrait 9

Image 10
Bobcat Portrait 10

Image 11
Bobcat Portrait 11

Image 12
Bobcat Portrait 12

Project Description

On my birthday this year, I started a 365-day photo project, Walk Around, capturing images and practicing techniques within walking distance of my home. Grouped in these images, were some themes that seemed project worthy. This submitted project developed only in hindsight, as the portrait “photo session” occurred unexpectedly.

I was walking alongside the small desert wash behind my home, mid-afternoon in the beginning of July, looking for scenes. As I stepped down into the dry wash, I saw the bobcat. It was lying in the shade of the sandy wash, about 40 feet upstream. I started taking some shots. To get a clearer view and help stabilize the camera, I sat down on the sand and leaned against the bank of the wash.

I continued to take capture images for about 20 minutes, until it became clear that this bobcat was not going anywhere soon and my heat tolerance not nearly as good. I slowly got up and backed away without the bobcat changing its position.

This bobcat seemed so relaxed in the shade, occasionally licking its lips, a puzzling behavior given how dry things were. So, I went out the next morning to where the bobcat was lying, to investigate, and found a 5-inch section of a gopher snake tail. With evidence of its early afternoon meal,
the bobcat’s behavior became clearer.

Portraits of a Bobcat is a compilation of some of the bobcat’s expressions, captured during that unexpected afternoon encounter.

Self Critique

What I like about this project is the portrait style images of the different expressions, but all in a similar setting. I put in 12 images, with a thought that this might be a calendar set. However, some are duplicated enough that is could be trimmed into a smaller grouping.

Creative Direction

The project goal was to process and portray the variety of expressions in each image as if this had been a formal sitting.
I wanted to try to develop the same processing for each position and expression, creating a similar look and feel for a cohesive portrait set of an unusual subject.

Specific Feedback

Is the selection of 12 images too ambitious?
Does the concept work as a project?
Do the expressions portray the emotions/behaviors of the subject, its sense of calmness/contentment, with occasional alerting to outside distractions?
Would this fit into a calendar style portrayal or more eBook style with some writing to accompany a smaller set of images?

Intent of the project

Additional Details: Calendar or eBook of the full set
Gallery of a smaller subset of the images, triptych or grouping

What a great encounter Marlin, quality time with a beautiful animal. The pictures do allow us to also enjoy the time you had and do convey a range of great facial expressions.
I can see your ambition to get a set of twelve but on reflection I think that three would actually do it, (less is more!). I think that a triptych would have a greater overall impact.
I would also suggest some minor editing, particularly the out of focus twig/branch above the cats right ear, and maybe a little sharpening of the face.
Lovely pictures.

A wonderful series that with some additional photo-editing will make for some printable images. All the images will benefit from noise reduction and sharpening. You may brighten slightly too for revealing more shadow detail.Removal of the OOF elements like branch will help too, I like the facial expressions and scientists recently discovered that domestic cats use over 300 expressions to reveal how they feel. Perhaps your photos reveal that bobcats also havean extensive library of facial expressions. A fine series that requires some tweaks to the RAW files for perfection…Jim

@Ryan_H , Thank you for the review and comments. Have been out of town so sorry for the delayed response. I agree that being more selective will be better. I do like the idea of a triptych with this set of expressions. I was amazed that it was so calm and didn’t seem stressed at all. Was fun to try t capture all of the looks.
I will work on the editing. Working on my sharpening skills. She if I can clean up the look, at least close to the face.
Thank you again.

@Jim_Zablotny , thank you for the comments and ideas. Was on the road so waited til I I was back settled to respond. Working on my sharpening and noise reduction skills. Tried to get the same processing for all of the images, clouds overhead didn’t help. Will work on the presets.
The expressions were fun to watch, responding to noises in the neighborhood. The licking puzzled me, until I found the snake tail the next morning.
Thank you again!