Practicing Characters

I was struck by the repetition in these reflections in the water at the Newport Harbor. They reminded me of Chinese Characters . I included the bottom bands because their shapes reminded me of one of those Japanese scrolls with mountains and characters (though the characters resemble Chinese more than Japanese). So I found a grouping of them that was fairly evenly spaced, similar in their luminosity, etc.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does this repetition resonate for you and bring to mind characters of some sort?

I was thinking of the bottom portion as being like the edge of a page and such, but I’m not sure it works, and I could crop it off.

Any other feedback?

Technical Details

5dm3 with 200-400 mm at 220

ISO 250, f25, 1/80th (and like another posted here, not intentional on the ISO and f-stop)

4 Likes

Hi Marylynne

I quite like this, it is very painterly. The colours are great. I might play with the brightness on the orange to give a little more overall balance but it is nice brighter as the “sky” (so just a touch darker maybe?). It reminds me of a bit of aTurner painting from the 18th C - a smoky early industrial landscape. But perhaps more a hot and hazy summer morning by the water with trees coming through the haze.

1 Like

This works for me. I was playing with cropping the bottom off but I’m not sure it helps!

1 Like

Hi Marylynne, what a lovely abstract image! I quite like the orientation of the image, the muted colors at the bottom and the orange up top. There is enough interest with the bands reflecting in the water. I’d probably clone out that line towards the bottom right and go with a square crop cutting off the top a bit. Very interesting image and a pleasure to explore it. Nice work!

1 Like