Prickly Pear Cactus + re-post

Prickly pear cactus are all over here in the Texas hill country. I found this one in a local park.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

In post processing I subdued and blurred the background to focus on the center of the flower. Is that working? Any other thoughts/comments?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/8, 1/125, iso 320, 80mm with 36mm extension tube

Linda, this is a fine look into the heart of a Prickly pear. Your focus on the center parts and how they are set of by the darker petal bases looks very good. Your comp. works well with it’s environment showing softly. There is a dust bunny (round dark spot) towards the upper right corner. Having enjoyed photographing the prickly pear in yard of our Montana home, this has me thinking about how under normal times, that’s where I’d be right now.

Thanks Mark for your thoughts and comments. I’ve not heard the term “dust bunny” before so I’ve re-posted with a red circle around the portion I thought you were referring to, is this it?

Also didn’t realize Montana had prickly pear cactus. When they bloom they’re fascinating to watch all the bugs come flocking in for the pollen. Have learned my lesson about trying to get too close to photograph. . . .the hard way. Thanks again.

Definitely. I wasn’t sure whether to explain the term or not. If you know what a dust bunny is, then by explaining I look to be talking down to you. If you don’t know, then I needed to explain. I took a guess and guessed wrong, :grin: (as usual) but you clearly figured it out.

I appreciate your taking the time to work with me and clearly have much to learn. Many times people here will use acronyms and I have no clue (although I did print out the acronym descriptions from NPN - which help a lot). Everyone here has been more than helpful and I hope someday I’ll be able to return the favor. Thanks again.

Very nice, Linda. In this case the background on the right doesn’t seem to add anything to the image and I think you might want to try cropping much tighter to focus on the yellows and oranges completely (thus also eliminating Mark’s “dust bunny” (we’ll have to add this term).

Linda, I am not familiar with the prickly pear, but it is a lovely blossom and a nice look at it. I like Dennis suggestion of cropping in more, since that corner doesn’t add to the image. Still a nice shot as is (without the dust bunny, of course).

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, @Dennis_Plank and @Shirley_Freeman for your thoughts and kind words. I can see how cropping in would give better focus on the center of the cactus but also thought perhaps backing off a bit would set the cactus in its environment. Seems to me at this point it’s subject to artistic interpretation and intent. In addition, I’ve become found of the term “dust bunny” and feel sad about just cropping it off :cry: . . . Thanks again.

1 Like