Prison

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

A small pebble caught in a prison…

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Once again I was a little concern with the framing and cropping to use.
some of you will question the rocks in either the ULC or the LRC.
What do you think?

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tamron 24-70

2 Likes

Wonderful!! I love the composition, color and tonal structure (overall and local contrast). I think the element in the LRC adds an interesting and unexpected difference and balance. But on looking longer, I think it might be good to make the color and tonality of that area more like the rest of the image – especially the brighter left half of it. The dark area in the LLC – I think it might be cloned out.

And now reading your comments,I see those were your concerns. Maybe post a comparison after you have other reactions?

This is a cool image. I like the contrast of the rock and the mud. Well seen. I do think the lower right corner draws my eye away from the rest of the scene. I’m not sure how cloning it out would work, but I do think it would make for a stronger image with just the center rock and the mud. Simplified.

Well seen.

My initial reaction is one of being broken. It’s how one feels upon seeing broken glass that fractured from the point of impact. I think that comes from the central rock, which I find jarring, an intrusion. It’s interesting because I have witnessed such scenes often here in the desert and I’ve tried to avoid the heavy blacks. The obvious composition issue is the rock in the lower right corner. I guess it’s not a rock but a grey area.

Imprisoned, but about to break free is my impression. I get the feeling that the encircling mud is pulling back (well, it is in reality) and allowing the rock to get out. The overall mood is subdued, although there is the faintest hint of warmth. I’m thinking the rock may not escape very soon. I really like this.

Compositionally, that white rock in the LRC is rather distracting. Just toning it to be more gray would fix that easily. You could bring out more color, but I don’t think that’s what you’re going for - it would ruin the slightly downcast mood.

Off to read your comments now…

Well, you were concerned about that rock, so you have my thoughts on that. Hard to comment on the framing, as we don’t know what might be in the larger area that would have been distracting or would take away from the mood.

My first thought was ‘Emergence’, like that of a Conning Tower of a submarine breaking through the ice in the artic.
Given the above scenario, the rock in the LRC seems like an iceberg surrounded by the sheet ice that the Conning Tower is breaking through, so it seems that it belongs there as an element to enjoy viewing.
The smaller rocks strewn about are shards of ice produced by the abrupt shattering of the sheet ice as the Conning Tower broke through.

I can see the scenarios of ‘Broken’ and ‘Imprisoned’ as well (now that I’ve read them) and they are good too. :slight_smile:

I tried not to pay attention to your title, but, that may have influenced my scenario subconsciously.

Nice presentation. :slight_smile:

I have to mention that I’m not sure if this type of initial reaction was what you were after, perhaps the initial reaction desired was strictly photographically?
If so, then yes, the rock in the LRC might be a distraction as well as the small dark rock in the LLC, the large central rock has such a wonderful contrast in color that it makes for a very nice visual image, the tones in the dried mud are realistic and pleasing! :slight_smile:
I like that the main rock is not perfectly centered, it feels 'Right"

My "Impressionistic’ Initial response was @Igor_Doncov’s fault, he made me do it :laughing:

I immediately think of a meteor impact/crater. I have no sense of scale in this image and I think that’s great! The rock could be a small pebble or two foot across boulder. This is the kind of thing I see in Death Valley and our local western United Stated deserts. The only small issue I have is the rock in the LRC. Not a big deal but it takes away from idea of a meteor for me. Processing looks great to me.

My immediate impression is that of a primitive 5-legged crab or crustacean stuck in the mud. It’s neat how the larger darker cracks around the stone look like legs, to me anyway. I also like the light blue color of the stone and how the surrounding plates of mud are of a similar size - a pleasing design. My eye then moves to the lighter bluish stone surface in the LRC but then gets pulled back to the main subject.

Now reading your intent, I think you achieved your vision, although I’m thinking small crab in prison - I can’t stop seeing it! :slight_smile: I didn’t notice the rock in the ULC and the one in the LRC draws my attention but maybe even in a positive way that helps my eyes move around the image more. Well done!