Proboscis Monkey

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve just returned from Malaysian Borneo, where I was scouting for future tours. A previous visit over a decade ago only lasted a couple days, and this trip had been postponed twice due to COVID, so I was excited to finally explore the area properly for the first time.

This meant I finally got to see my first proboscis monkeys, a much more handsome and dynamic species up close than I expected. On our final day along the river, I was happy to finally capture some of their acrobatics. They’re not afraid to take some big leaps between trees. In this case, I purposely wanted to shoot wide in order to show off the massive gap between the origin and destination. So yeah, I suppose it’s sort of vast and empty on purpose. :wink:

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 100-500mm
ISO 800
1/2000th
f/10

1 Like

Max, the action and pose of the monkey are fantastic and even when I understand your idea of including the big jumps they manage, I would crop in such a way that the lower right leaves would not be included in the image. As said, the pose says it all to me.

1 Like

Great shot Max, The “vast and empty” works to emphasise the leap that the monkey has made.
I’m not sure of Cay-Uwe’s suggested crop. Taking the leaves out does serve to add an element of peril to the shot as you don’t know where it’s heading. The monkey could be falling. But leaving them in shows us just what the monkey is doing.

1 Like

This is a great shot Max! Excellent detail and lighting, but the best is the story. IMHO, a crop would change the story too much. Glad you were finally able to witness this area.

1 Like

Excellent use of framing, Max. Keeping that tree top in the LRC of the frame tells a story about just how high and how far these guys are jumping. I love the pose of the monkey with it’s arms outstretched. I wish the tail didn’t intersect the leg but it’s a very minor detail. Glad you were able to finally get what you’ve been trying to get for so long. Should be a great workshop.

1 Like

Yup, me too. I got two jumps, and this was the best pose of the two, but that tail overlap is bugging me. :wink:

1 Like

A handsome species indeed! I really like how well you can see the definition of the nose even from such a distance. I also agree with maintaining the vegetation he is about to land in to enhance the distance of the leap. Agree about the intersecting tail being unfortunate but still a great shot.

1 Like