Pronghorn Antelope

What technical feedback would you like if any? How does this crop work for a portrait

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: 300mm f4 (1/160 sec at f8.8, Iso 640), significant crop for comp, reduction of yellow and green saturation of BG, bump up in midtone contrast, brightness and contrast slight bump up. I also removed some dark colored branches of some American plum seedlings that intruded in the lower part of the image.

This is another from Custer State Park in the Black Hills. Shooting from our van was the best method for getting these fleet-footed antelocaprids. We did not have the best lighting as it was always foggy and overcast. …Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is a nice sharp image with nice background and it appears you did a good job with the changes you made. I’m undecided about the crop. It is a bit odd and probably not one I would have tried. But because it’s odd, it made me stop and look longer. It gives the impression that he’s peaking around the side of a window looking in and that makes me smile.

Jim: I think the overcast conditions were just fine as you still have excellent contrast in the animal. Not sure about the crop and a version I tried by scrolling was more to my liking. From the bottom, I scrolled up to just below where the white colored hair has that small dark near horizontal fold. What do you think? Richard

Hi Jim!
You just can’t complain about the foggy and overcast weather, as it has helped produce such great details in the Antelope !
As about the crop, including more of the Antelope on lest side might help.

The crop makes me feel like wanting to see more. Technically, it’s fine.

Hi,

Thank you for the critiques. I’ll try a few of the crops before I print this one. I need to find a good telephoto zoom lens before I head out West again…

Good job on the exposure and fur detail. I also would like to see more of the animal. As posted it works well as a portrait.