Pronghorn - RP

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a South Central Oregon pronghorn antelope buck. He had an amazing herd of does and fawns with him. The fawns were a handful for the nursemaids to keep track of.

Is this a boring composition? Too crunchy? Are the whites too white? Does the green farm field detract from the “wildness” of the antelope?

Technical Details

1. Canon 40D, f16, 1/200 sec, iso 100, -0.7 exp bias, 400 mm (100-400 lens)
  2. f10, 1/250 sec, iso 100, -0.3 exp bias, 400 mm
1 Like

Ed, Although its not a WOW image it is not a bad image at all. The animal’s head/face is looking at the viewer which is not always the case, the front leg is curved so there is implied movement and you have it on the rule of thirds.
I feel it is a bit crunchy, the head seems okay however I would tone down the rest. I would certainly desaturate the green quite a bit as it competes both with the deer and FG. Perhaps even a subtle vignette around the deer as well may work.

@mark28 thank you so much for your thought and recommendations on this. I tried to tone down the antelope, but didn’t think about desaturating the greens. That makes a ton of sense.