Pronghorn trio

We had been looking for moose near Walden, CO, found a few. Did find many pronghorn from early morning to sundown.

Specific Feedback Requested

I like the composition of the 3 does, but it is a very large crop even after sharpening it is not as sharp as I would like. Any thought on how to sharpen more, or is it OK as is.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon RF 100-500mm 4.5/7.1 @ 400mm
1/800 at F-16, ISO 800
Hand held.

1 Like

John, if the image quality is not in the raw file, there’s no way to improve it using software. The line-up looks good and their colors match the background well, but the flaws show clearly.

Thanks Mark. This is from the JPEG. I will take a look at the RAW file. I doubt if I can do much more.

The pose here is a wonderful capture! You should be able to do a LOT more by starting with the raw file! A slight reduction in contrast with the shadows and highlights sliders could bring more detail into the eyes. Trying any sharpening will only degrade things as it can only be done by introducing artifacts that are hopefully kept below the level of being noticed. The animals look sharp enough and the grass should look good a bit soft. The JPEG has trashed the detail there with its clumsy attempt to sharpen things.

Thank you, I will try to see what I can do or shouldn’t do with the RAW file.

Great line up, very well seen and captured!
I agree with the suggestions already given.

If you take jpeg file on R 5, then you’re grossly under utilizing that camera.