Purple Martin with Wasp

Description:

I was out playing with my new toy this afternoon and I clipped the tail when I photographed this female Purple Martin, so I decided to crop in for a portrait. I’m pleased with the level of detail and the way the Bird Eye Autofocus locks on. This shot was taken with all AF points active and lots of branches in the frame, but it locked right onto the bird’s eye.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.
Sony A1, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC, hand held, f/9, 1/4000, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from the original 8640x5760 to 3186x2616 (16.7% of the original). I removed some twigs from the background as they didn’t add anything to the composition. Some lightening of the face and the wasp. Taken today at 12:01 PM.

1 Like

Love the details of the feathers! And everything is so sharp!

Looks good. I might be tempted to lighten up the shadows on the face just a tad. Well done…Jim

I always found Purple Martins one of the most difficult birds to capture with any detail - much like crows. You did a nice job here, and her meal is a bonus. Good work.

Hi Dennis
The detail and dynamic range on the purple and grays looks great. The head turn and afternoon snack, just adds to this photograph. I think the exposure on the eye and neck could come some. Nice work.
Peter
Ps: Nice toy and what did you do with the a7RlV?

@peter

Keeping it as a backup and for flowers/macro/whatever.

Looks much better on my desktop than ipad. Color and light look good although The face could be half a stop brighter to accentuate the eye. But really cool shot with the bug.