Purple Martin

D500, 700mm (500pf w/ 1.4tc), f8, 1/5000, iso3200
Fun birds to shoot in flight… they are fast.

1 Like

Well you certainly nailed this one. That is pretty good to find a little fast flying bird with a big lens and a TC. Good for you. I like the pose.

Nice catch. It certainly is a lot easier to take birds in flight images with the 500 PF. My guess is you would’ve had a hard time with your 300 and extender compared to the 500 PF. Was this also taken at Steigerwald? I know they have a lot of purple Martin nest boxes down by the water.

Dave, this was at Sauvie island outside Portland.
500pf with extender for flight is hunt and shoot, very difficult, need great light.
300 w/ 1.7 (500mm) is better than 500pf without extender.
The 500pf is very good, 300 f2.8 lens is the best lens Nikon ever made.
It works with the old 1.7tc like a breeze, the AF is just as good if not better and the bokeh is
a lot better.
The harrier images I posted were with the 300. I use it most of the time. f4.8 at 500mm is nice.
It is a lot heavier but I can still handhold which is all I ever do.
I use 500 pf only with the extender pretty much because 700mm on crop sensor is pretty nice.
Excellent for static subjects.

Excellent capture, Dan. The background is great and sure complements that plumage well.

Max

Amazing bird and from the Martins I know quite a achievement to get such an image, impressive ! Congrats, Hans

Hi Dan
I agree with you, chasing a Purple Martin with a 500mm lens is not for the faint of hart. You did a very good job tracking and firing off this frame. The detail, color and exposure look very nice.
Peter
Ps
I have a Sigma 150-600mm lens and when I tried to chase Common Terns, this pass summer. I would have to find the Turns at 250-300mm and then move up to 500mm. (never made it at 600mm)

Hi Dan,

You used some excellent technique to snag this guy. this is an excellent flight shot with a killer BG. Awesome…Jim

I somehow missed this one when you posted it, Dan. A wonderful image. We have a gourd rack that’s full every year and I haven’t come close to a flight shot like this. Superb work.