Queen of Her Domain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My husband and I were camping at Colorado National Monument one fall. We often get up early to see what’s available for photos for me. On this morning, I’d tried for some sunrise photos across the monument’s canyons, but without much success (blah sunrise and too much haze), so we were driving back down toward the entry area. Right alongside the road, this lady and a couple others suddenly appeared. I suspect this was the oldest ewe since she seemed to be keeping an eye on the others. She paused (and posed) on this cliff edge only a few feet above the road before making her way down to its shoulder, then back up to a clump of juniper to join the others. I liked how she was framed between the ancient stone and the modern jet contrail, giving her a timeless, and outside of time, quality.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome

Technical Details

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, ISO 250, f 10, 1/160, 70 mm. I was handholding the camera out the car window, pointing almost straight up

She definitely has on her “we are not amused” expression. So far as I understand the behavior of these sheep, ewes and rams form distinct herds for most of the year and come together for mating. From what I’ve seen of the leaders, the ewes do herd and keep track of their flocks pretty well. I like the up from below view here - it speaks to their agility and their proximity to us for a lot of the time. They seem do do well in the face of all our meddling. At least you got a little bit of cloud back there, too. Good catch even if the sunrise didn’t work out.

1 Like

Great shot, Denise. My first reaction to the ewe–with your perspective looking up at her–was that she had a very triumphant appearance. I agree that the jet contrail really adds something to this image. You mentioned an outside of time quality, and I would add that, for me at least, it almost has an otherworldly feel to it. I like it.

1 Like

Denise, yes, this very much a queen of the mountain view. I also like how your comp. tells the viewer that she’s not interested in the photog, just what ever may be off in the distance. Not have a solid blue sky adds a lot to the scene.