Queen of the Mountain

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw this Bumblebee overnighting on a cone flower this morning and had to get out the pseudo-macro lens to see what I could do with her.

Specific Feedback

I liked the idea of shooting from a bit under her level and getting her partially behind the bloom. Does it work for anyone else?

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 “macro” @ 200 mm, tripod, f/22, 1/40, iso 640. Processed in LR & PS CC. Microcontrast enhancement to the bee, luminosity adjustments locally and globally and a few removals of annoying small elements in the image. Taken at 6:50 this morning under overcast skies.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is a really fun peek a boo shot of the “queen” Dennis. Great focus on the eyes and great colors in the flower head. It is huge!

Yes, totally cool shot with a wonderful perspective! It evokes a wide angle feel. You could have a second version with the petals cropped off and go even more abstract.

This is great, Dennis. And it needs to be viewed in the large view to really appreciate the peek a boo look. Nicely seen and captured.

Dennis: I love coneflowers and then to get a really good bee on top is the icing on the cake. Great find and a fine capture. >=))>