Racoon foraging

I was at the local reclamation area this morning looking for birds. He was out also, foraging along the edges. He would move along a bit and stick his paws down to feel around and then move along. I never saw him get anything. This was an unusual sighting because they are nocturnal.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

My settings were for birds in bright sunlight and I neglected to change them.
Canon 7D ll, Canon 400mm 5.6, 1/1000sec, f10.0,ISO 4000
LR C, Topaz Denoise.
Any comments are welcome.

Wow. Way over saturated.will try another one instead

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Charlie !
A wonderful subject and great setting !
I find the first picture to be over-saturated and over sharpened, both these traps are to be avoided in the digital photography, it also has blue cast at some places.

So my vote goes to the second one, it has a better composition and you may boost the saturation a touch here.

Thanks. I don’t see the blue cast but, probably my monitor.

Maybe somewhere between the two for color. In correcting the saturation, you’ve lost contrast in the second one. Both seem oversharpened. But these are easily changed in processing. The capture itself is really great. Nice pose and clear view of his face and expression with light in his eyes. And focus was spot on.

Thanks. I will go back and look at that.

I like the second version, Charlie! The colors are much more realistic. Looking at the large version, I don’t find the sharpening overdone at all. The details are crisp without any artifacts or jaggies. The site seems to sharpen the small versions when it reduces them from your large image so I never go by that. I have a lot of raw photos that are that sharp straight out of the camera. A nice opportunity to catch a racoon in the daylight and a good capture of it.