Same Raccoon, Same Car, Different Window

David and I were shooting together when we encountered this Raccoon. I failed to adjust my settings for the darkness of the far side of the canal, so my image started out fairly dark, but I felt that fit with this species so I didn’t bring it up very far. I also left more of the overhanging brush at the top because it seemed to help accent the way this species usually fades into the background.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you can see.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does my treatment seem to fit with my expressed objectives?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/9, 1/1600, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Neat Image for noise reduction. Cropped to 16.6 MP. Taken December 3rd at 12:35 PM.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice setting for a raccoon David. I like it how it is shown, but I’d be tempted to brighten the midtones a bit just to see what that looks like.

It’s interesting to see both shots and such different interpretations. I like both shots. I do think you met your objectives here and I like the darkness which is what I imagine them to always be in and also the only way I’ve ever experienced one. Very nice shot.

Interesting frame & setting, of the two pictures, I may prefer the brightness level somewhere in between. I believe Raccoons are nocturnal animals, so darker version is more appropriate.
Both the versions need some rotation.

Dennis I like this image as is, I don’t mind the fact that it’s on the dark side. After all raccoons are nocturnal. The times I’ve seen them in the past I remember first seeing the glowing eyes in the distance. My wife and I were once overwhelmed by raccoons at Mammoth Cave National Park quite a few years ago. We were practically tripping over them, testy little varmints. Again I like your image as is!