Raindrops Keep Fallin' + reworked

Raindrops Keep Fallin’ + reworked

Original

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the green and the reflection on the cement of the patio. Have I over saturated the green for the fern?

Creative direction

I wanted to capture the elegance of a simple Asparagus Fern after the rain.

Specific Feedback

Have I succeeded in in elevating the fern to an object of art?

Technical Details

Sony a7iv, 70-300 lens, at 300mm, 1/100 sec. f/13, Iso 3200
Hand held lying on the floor
Processed in LR, PS, using Topaz denoise and TK9 luminosity masking and actions.

Description

I was in a hurry to get to work when I noticed the rain had stopped, and the fern’s bright green was reflected. I did not want to take the time to get my tripod so I just got down on the floor.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Thanks to the feedback from @Dennis_Plank and @Bill_Fach, I reworked the image. Darkening the pot in the background and bringing out as much detail as I could in the reflection is the result. I feel this makes for a stronger composition and I am grateful to both of you.

Barbara: A worthy subject indeed and well seen. Your capture and comp are top notch. My first impression was that I wish the bands in the BG weren’t there (OOF pot?). The subtle reflections on the wet concrete do work well for me. >=))>

Beautiful composition, Barbara. I see the issue @Bill_Fach mentioned on the lines in the pot, but they’re sufficiently subtle that I don’t find them objectionable. The reflections of the fern on the concrete are really nice as is the fern and the drops on it. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I see them very faintly toward the left of the frame and it would be interesting if you could somehow bring those up.

Barbara: A subtle change but a good and effective one. :+1: :+1:>=))>

I like the rework - the dark and light contrast very well and so the texture can be appreciated more. Unfortunately it made the little white specks in front of the pot stand out more. I like the subtle reflection on the floor, too.

Beautiful job on the repost, Barbara.

Thanks, I appreciate the chance to polish my skills.